Speaking with Electrek, a Bolt owner named Scott has discussed his ordeal in trying to get a fair outcome with GM. See, Scott bought a 2019 Bolt and was fanatical about caring for his car, which had amassed 21,000 miles on the clock. He’d avoid charging it when the battery was at 50% or higher and used slow charging to replenish it when necessary. Despite these precautions, Scott dropped his car at a body shop to fix a paint issue on the roof on the morning of June 29, 2020, only for the owner of the shop to call him four hours later. He arrived at the shop to find that his beloved car was smoldering and giving off an acrid smell.
Firefighters were dispatched and apparently killed the fire, but a few minutes after arriving home, the body shop owner called again with the same issue. For another four hours, the fire department tried to put out the fire. As you can imagine, the battery was toast and the car unusable.